Saturday, June 6, 2009

We Also Live in the Night


"... we also live in the night. Isn't it necessary, perchance, to turn our eyes toward it? ... I no longer have the black night, complete obscurity, before me; instead, it covers me completely, it penetrates my whole being, it touches me in a much more intimate way than the clarity of visual space."
Eugene Minkowski
Images: Passing in the Night, May 2009, JB
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.
We enter the circle after dark and are consumed by fire.
[Palindrome in Latin, on the ways of moths].

2 comments:

Roxana said...

"Aside I turn to the holy, unspeakable, mysterious Night. Afar lies the world, sunk in a deep grave; waste and lonely is its place. In the chords of the bosom blows a deep sadness. I am ready to sink away in drops of dew, and mingle with the ashes.-- The distances of memory, the wishes of youth, the dreams of childhood, the brief joys and vain hopes of a whole long life, arise in gray garments, like an evening vapor after the sunset. In other regions the light has pitched its joyous tents. What if it should never return to its children, who wait for it with the faith of innocence?"

Novalis

(superb pictures!)

jacky bowring said...

oh, yes, the "holy, unspeakable, mysterious Night" ... thanks for invoking the Hymns to the Night!